Friday, October 7, 2011

What is Doll Science?

Doll rescue is fun, saves money.  It is a good way for girls to learn about polymer science.  It is also environmentally friendly.  It doesn't cost much to fix up a doll if you use my techniques.  The initial purchase of the cleaning supplies will cost a little money, but they give you enough to rescue dozens of dolls.  If you cannot afford the special supplies, Dawn dishwashing detergent is pretty safe but might not work as well.  Taking a doll that was ready for the garbage can and turning her into a doll that you or someone else can use is an example of how good chemistry can help you be green.  It means that the doll won't end up in a land fill.  It means that new plastic won't be needed to make a new doll.  It's thrifty and it's fun.  What more can you ask?

I rescue used dolls and fix them up.  Usually I give them away to girls who like AG dolls but can't afford to buy them.  Some I keep for myself, like my first rescue ZoarZoar.  I have a few rules about this.  First, I don't buy new heads or new wigs.  The fun part for me is taking a sad-looking doll and making her better with my own hands.  There are lots of sites that tell you how to do this.  Some don't use good science and tell you to do things that can damage the doll in years to come.  I read all about plastic dolls, which are usually polyvinyl chloride, and learned how they are made and how to take care of them.  This is what I call Doll Science.

I use Dawn dishwashing detergent to wash the hair then an unscented fabric softener soak.
I clean my dolls bodies ONLY with products from Twin Pines of Maine.  These products were designed by a polymer chemist and are safer for you dolls than most home remedies.  His name is Nicholas Hill and he wrote a book about dolls.  You can find the products and book on their website.

Check out Recusing ZoarZoar for a photostory of my first doll rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment